Monday, November 10, 2008

El Busto

I realized in making Cake that brevity and simplicity are crucial to my work. This is not to say I consider Cake to be a work of extremely high production value, all I mean is that it deviated greatly in terms of prep than most of my other videos. Economy has always been a hallmark of mine, whether in moving image or more traditional works, yet for some reason this time I chose to do something different. The result of which was something entirely unsatisfying and frustrating. For the most part I'd say experimentation is a good thing, but without readiness for disappointment your foray into the unknown can be aggravating. And simultaneously illuminating. I understand better why my videos work the way they do and how the intuitive structure I set up for myself influences the final product. As a way to get the bad taste of Cake out of my mouth, I made Corner. A single shot recording of me attempting to violently force my way out of a rather bleak and oppressing corner. The metaphor was appropriate. What's the knock on being too literal again? God forbid someone understand what it is I'm trying to express.

No comments: